ochspeed

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Victory Ride -- 9/21/2004

Smaller group tonight. Might be the last week for this ride. It's getting darker and darker earlier and earlier. We are already cutting out a fair amount of the ride due to lack of light. Going up hill to Northbrook, we real attacks but just a killer pace up the hill then the pace really picked up on the flat. One by one, people dropped off the back, leaving me pretty pleased to be in an elite group of 4 consisting of myself, Dr. Smooth, Fergie, and Trey. But finally, I, too, dropped off. After the harder parts of the ride, we had a conversational roll back to town. I got to talk to Ferg about his PowerTap system. He seemed happy with the system, but I still don't see the real benefit, nor can I justify the cost.

Tonight on the ride we were coming down this hill around a bend a this car (should I say Klunker) is backing out of his driveway. A car is coming from the other way. He should have seen us or the other car or both. I was second in the line and start yelling "SLOWING, SLOWING, SLOWING" and then finally "STOPPING". This guy throws it into drive and takes off in the direction that we were heading with his big meaty hand shoved out the window flashing us the bird. Yeah, I guess it was our fault he pulled out in front of us.

Cross season is almost here, and I ain't got a bike. I tried Campo 28's on my old road bike -- I had to deflate them to a ridiculously low pressure to get them into the frame, and when re-inflated they rubbed my campy single pivots. My old Wheeler has a Mag 21 with an 1-1/4" Head tube which makes its use for CX racing doubtful and makes conversion relatively expensive. I mean by the time I convert the Wheeler (i.e. new headtube adapter, new headset, new rigid fork, new stem, maybe new drop bars, new front wheel), I'd be well on my way to a new frame onto which I could just transfer my Ultegra 600 stuff from the Ox. My dual-suspension Fuel 95 would be a bitch to shoulder. There's a part of me that wants to buy a new bike, but there's a part of me that likes keeping as much of the green as possible. Any htoughts or ideas?

6 Comments:

  • Are you still considering cross? What bike are thinking about? Keep me psoted.

    By Blogger Tim, at 7:12 PM  

  • definitely still planning to do the mac series -- aiming to do at least 6 of the 9 races. still not sure what to do about a bike. as with most things still all over the map. still considering converting the wheeler, considering buying an off-the-shelf type bike (i.e. fuji cross, lemond poprad, etc.), considering buying a high-end cross bike. just don't know what to do.

    By Blogger kj, at 12:15 AM  

  • If you buy an off the shelf rig get the Lemond, hands down the best production bike out there. I have a friend who chooses his for all year riding over a brand new CAAD 7 with Record. He rides it most days. Are you still getting a shop hook? The Lemonds are well built too. I'm still hooked on the IF design, perfect for me.
    Tim

    By Blogger Tim, at 12:47 AM  

  • for some reason i can't seem to get excited about the LeMond. i'm sure it's a perfectly fine bike. lately, have thought about the bianchi concept cross -- scandium frame with carbon rear and relatively big $$$ (unfortunately) -- or maybe the salsa. also empella, ridley, or something a little less mainstream. what do you know about the alu-merkx? anyone else to consider?

    By Blogger kj, at 8:22 PM  

  • Happy birthday! I hope you are well, I know the kids are fine, I hope you are too! Keep bloggin'

    Tim

    By Blogger Tim, at 10:46 PM  

  • Find a used bike on the net and ride it to see if you like the sport. I bet you could find one at roadbikereview.com don't spend the cash unless you know that cross is worth your time.

    By Blogger Tim, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home