ochspeed

Friday, July 30, 2004

Asinine!

I just read this article by Mike Imrem of Chicago's Daily Herald. Essentially, he minimizes Lance Armstrong's accomplishments in order to support his notion that "Top Athletes Don't Ride Bicycles". I don't even know where to begin, but hurriedly tried to send the following email:

I haven't heard the claims that LA is the world's greatest athlete. Even if there were claims to this effect, I don't see the need to tear down the man, his sport, or his accomplishments in order to push your clearly pro-contact sport views. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of both cycling and football -- American football. Yes, it is possible. But to tear down LA's achievements because you claim he couldn't take a single hit in pro football and therefore is not a top athlete is akin to saying that a Ferrari or a Porsche is not a world-class car because it could not win a collision with a Hummer. Different competitions -- athletic or otherwise -- require different skill sets. Given RW's success in pro football, I would argue that he has a high percentage of fast-twitch muscle fiber, which in fact, would make it very difficult for him to hang with the boys on Le Tour for very long IF at all. He just would not have the endurance. The professionals riding in the Tour average over 25 mph on most stages, I doubt RW could maintain 15 mph over 100 miles. This, however, does not mean that he is not a top athlete. LA is a top athlete, perhaps not THE top athlete, but I do not think anyone could make that claim.


The email couldn't get through, his mailbox is full. Apparently he's pissed off a bunch of people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home